Elizabeth Hart Thompson
Financial Services, Healthcare, Tech/Telecom
Elizabeth Hart Thompson has nearly two decades of experience as a senior staff member on Capitol Hill and a lobbyist. She joined Prime from Crossroads Strategies, where she focused on health care, financial services and technology. Building on her extensive knowledge of the political and legislative processes, as well as, her dedication to team work, […]
- 16+ years of experience in Washington, including 14 on Capitol Hill
- Extensive background in both Legislative and Political strategy
- Expertise in Financial Services, Health Care and Technology Policies
- Strong ties to Democratic House Leadership, Blue Dog Coalition and New Dems
- Ability to develop and implement strategy from Legislative Policy to Political and Issue Campaigns
- History of working across the aisle to advocate for clients’ needs
- Senior Legislative Assistant for Rep. Baron Hill (IN-9)
- Legislative Director, Deputy Chief of Staff, Chief of Staff for Rep. Melissa Bean (IL-08)
- Chief of Staff for Rep. John Carney (DE-AL)
- Executive Vice President at Crossroad Strategies
- BA – Washington University in St. Louis
- MA – Middlebury College
Did You Know?
- Elizabeth is a cookbook collector and gourmand.
- She is a Jeopardy SUPERFAN.
- Elizabeth considers herself a true crime connoisseur.
Elizabeth Hart Thompson has nearly two decades of experience as a senior staff member on Capitol Hill and a lobbyist. She joined Prime from Crossroads Strategies, where she focused on health care, financial services and technology. Building on her extensive knowledge of the political and legislative processes, as well as, her dedication to team work, Elizabeth is particularly adept at developing and executing advocacy strategies that deliver meaningful results to clients.
Elizabeth began her career on Capitol Hill with Representative Baron Hill of Indiana, a prominent member of the Blue Dog Coalition. She then went on to be the Legislative Director and then Chief of Staff for Representative Melissa Bean of Illinois, where she was integral in helping secure passage of the Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA). Elizabeth led the effort for inclusion of centrist provisions in Dodd-Frank – notably maintaining national preemption of the consumer protection laws for national banks – and preserving the ability of derivative end-users to hedge their risk.
As Chief of Staff to Representative John Carney of Delaware, Elizabeth helped build bipartisan consensus on and off the Hill, shepherding critical elements of the JOBS Act into law, including the IPO on-ramp provisions. She also spearheaded a successful, year-long effort to win inclusion in the 2014 “Cromnibus” – one of the only fixes to the Affordable Care Act ever passed by Congress – over the initial objection of the Obama Administration and many of the principal authors of the Affordable Care Act.
In her roles for both Representatives Bean and Carney, Elizabeth was intimately involved in shaping the policy development, political strategy and overall execution of the New Dems’ mission. The group routinely works across the aisle to advance policies that foster economic growth, innovation and smart government.
A Midwestern native, Elizabeth earned her Bachelor’s Degree from Washington University in St. Louis and Master’s Degree from Middlebury College. She currently lives in Alexandria, Virginia with her husband, Michael.