State/Local Government, Tax, Trade
Keith manages the firm’s tax lobbying practice. He assists some of the largest multinational companies and some of the smallest business in the United States with their tax concerns before Congress and regulators, in addition to working on international trade issues.
- Prepares CEO’s and other executives for their testimony before Congressional tax writing committees
- Building and executing lobbying campaigns for complex tax issues
- Engaging tax writers on behalf of clients on many aspects of tax reform.
- Extensive experience with the legislative and executive branches of the U.S. Government
- Association management and corporate strategy development
- Legislative Assistant for Senator Mitch McConnell
- Senior Manager at United Technologies Association
- Director of the Office of Legislation and Intergovernmental Affairs at ITA (Commerce Department)
- Budget Analyst at OMB
- BA- Birmingham-Southern College; Phi Beta Kappa
- MA- George Washington University’s Elliot School of International Affairs
Did You Know?
- Keith authored a revised guide for exporters entitled, “Official U.S. and International Financing Institutions: A Guide for Exporters and Investors,” when he worked at the International Trade Administration.
- He is currently Chairman of the Board for the YMCA of Metropolitan Washington
Keith Smith, a Managing Director at Prime Policy Group, brings over 30 years of public affairs experience to the firm. Prior to joining Prime Policy Group’s predecessor firm, BKSH & Associates Worldwide, Keith worked as a senior manager at United Technologies Corporation (UTC) where he directed legislative activities in the areas of international trade and taxation.
Prior to UTC, Keith served as director of the office of legislative and intergovernmental affairs for the International Trade Administration (ITA) at the Department of Commerce. He also worked at French & Company, Inc., where he was executive vice president for the firm and executive director of the International Electronics Manufacturers and Consumers of America, the firm’s largest client. He was also responsible for strategy development, issue monitoring and advocacy in the areas of international trade, international tax and information technology.
In addition, Keith has served as legislative assistant to Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY); an international economist in the ITA; and as a budget analyst in the Office of Management and Budget. While at ITA, Keith also served in the Office of Trade Finance where he authored a revised guide for exporters entitled, “Official U.S. and International Financing Institutions: A Guide for Exporters and Investors.”
Keith is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Birmingham-Southern College in Alabama with a Bachelor’s degree in political science. He received a Scottish Rite Fellowship to complete his master’s degree at George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs.
Keith is active in the District and surrounding communities, serving as Chairman for the YMCA of Metropolitan Washington and other local volunteer organizations. He and his wife, Mary Jane, have two daughters, Lindsay and Erin.