Energy & Environment, Healthcare
Mitch has been delivering trusted counsel across a diverse practice of legislative, policy and political issues for more than a decade. During his long-standing tenure both in Congress and throughout the political and policy sphere of Washington, he has tackled some of the largest healthcare, energy and regulatory issues presented before the federal government. He has a massive range of relationships and strategic congressional partnerships that has paid dividends for consecutive congressional sessions.
- Standing relationships with the powerful Energy & Commerce Committee and Ways & Means legislative teams
- Congressional experience as both a Legislative Director and Legislative Counsel immersed in new policy initiatives
- Direct service to two Energy & Commerce Committee Subcommittee Chairman, Staff Directors and Full Committee Staff
- Keen understanding of the healthcare landscape for some of the largest payers, providers and manufacturers in the world
- Relentless agility to navigate pending legislative efforts and guide both Committee investigations and general hearings
- Full recognition of both the political and legal ramifications of various policy positions for a massive range of stakeholders
- Mitch cultivates strong relationships that will make a difference in the end result
- A firm belief in the power of evidence-based pressure, applied to either halt or propel new legislation
- The ability to act fast and connect directly with the decision-makers to steer any initiative
- Legislative Director for Renee Ellmers (R-NC); House Energy & Commerce Committee
- Legislative Assistant for Tim Murphy (R-PA); House Energy & Commerce Committee
- Director of Government Relations; Coalition for Government Procurement
- BA – James Madison University
- JD – University of Pittsburgh.
Did You Know?
- Mitch is a Washington, D.C. area native and a die-hard Washington Redskins fan.
- Before having two kids, he used to enjoy spending his free time reading novels, hiking, and watching movies.
Mitch Vakerics, a Director at Prime Policy Group, joined the firm from Capitol Hill, having served multiple posts in Congress within the U.S. House of Representatives. Considered the main health care point of contact over seven years within two separate Energy & Commerce Committee Member Offices, Mitch worked closely on key health care legislation and implemented an overarching strategic approach with senior officials at the FDA, NIH, CDC, CMS and HHS.
Most recently, Mitch served as the Legislative Director to Congresswoman Renee Ellmers (R-NC) who currently serves on the powerful Energy & Commerce Committee. During this tenure, Mitch directed the activities of the legislative team and served as the Congresswoman’s link to the Committee during her work on the Health, Energy & Telecommunications Subcommittees. It was during this time that he executed the development of the 21st Century Cures Energy & Commerce Committee package and crafted landmark vaccine legislation at the request and under the direction of the Congresswoman.
Prior to his tenure with Representative Ellmers, Mitch served Congressman Tim Murphy (R-PA), Chairman for the Energy and Commerce Oversight Subcommittee, as a health care and energy policy advisor.
At Prime Policy Group, Mitch continues to focus heavily on federal and regulatory health care and energy policy legislative initiatives
A native of Virginia, Mitch earned his Bachelor’s degree from James Madison University and his Juris Doctorate from the University of Pittsburgh. Mitch currently resides in Arlington, Virginia with his wife Jasmine and their two children.